Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Friendship

I lost a friend today. Maybe I never had one in the first place. Her name is Solona, transferred in a few weeks ago. Finally, another girl at the training camp. The Atlantis army doesn’t discriminate, but they certainly like their soldiers male and strong. I’ve come to discover many people doubt a girl’s ability to keep up with the boys. I not only keep up with them, but I am one of the top performers. I break the stereotype and I guess they boys don’t like that. At least that’s what Captain always says. 

Anyway, she came into camp and I immediately introduced myself to her and showed her around. It was so nice to have another person in the bunkhouse. We stayed up late swapping stories about our family back at home. She came from Amphitrite. When her youngest brother was killed by a Zeus scouting party, she felt compelled to fight. I had a running partner and a friend. I should have known it wouldn’t last. The boys wouldn’t allow it to. About four days in, someone soaked our beds in urine. I think it was from the horses. I told her it was nothing, that if she told Captain he would punish the entire group which was counterproductive. I told her I figured Zeno was involved and that I’d figure out a way to get back at him. She cried. I guess Zeno talked the boys into not shunning her. But I got back at Zeno good. I loosened his rope before he repelled down a wooden exercise wall. The perfect scenario because his buddy was blamed for not spotting him correctly. I would feel bad, but the boy had spit in my food a few days before, so it was twice the retribution.

She still stopped talking to me. I tried sitting with her for meal time, but she would inhale her food and leave without a word. I could already see the result, but I think I denied it. Who would want to admit solitude? I guess I thought she would eventually come around. I mean, we had shared stories, we liked the same things, we both wanted to serve our country. I had done nothing bad to her, in fact I often pulled double time to make her look good. I tried to continue this, but it resulted in her yelling at me. Then, during a drill in which we had to cross the river on a rope, she sabotaged me. She went in front of me, showing off her balance to cross without much effort. I was right behind, about halfway across, when she exited the rope. She claimed to have slipped, but every time it replays in my mind, I can see it clear as day. She bounced. The robe shifted and I found myself greeted by the current. The water rushed my lungs, grainy and tasting of fish. I barely swam to the shore before vomiting up what I had swallowed. The boys laughter serenated me.

When I looked up at her, she spat a sorry and left. I heard Captain mention District Two when referencing her to the lieutenant. I guess she would have left me eventually. I just wish she had never come, had never shown me what it was like to have a friend here, had never shown me what it is I am really lacking. Then again, maybe I am meant to be alone, just like the wolf. I thrive by myself. I don't need any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment