Sunday, December 16, 2012

First Snow

Our first snow started falling right before dawn. I know because I awoke shivering. They gave out wool blankets, but mine has holes. I won’t tell Captain. It’s dumb, really. The boys forget I can transfer to a coat of fur if I want. I’m probably the warmest here. Last night I was too tired to think of transforming. I shivered awake, hearing the breeze run like blades through the air, cutting through any crevice in the wall. It whistled through the pines, announcing the storm’s presence.

I crept to the window. When I wiped the fog from the glass, I could see the white snow sticking, glowing white against the black night. I found myself giggle. It never fails. No matter how old I get, I still feel like when I was four. We had a really hard storm that year. But, when everything settled and fluff carpeted the land, my dad took me out back. I whined the entire hike into the valley. But then, he took me to a large hill. I remember it towering high above me, although I don’t think it was very tall. At the top, he laid down a wooden board with a metal handle at the front. I remember staring at him, sure he had finally lost his senses. Other kids talked about their parents losing their minds in the winter.

But then he sat down, ordered me on his lap, and pushed off. The ice nipped at my cheeks as the air rushed past us. My hair flew in his face, but he just laughed as we slid down the hill. My stomach dipped inside my chest, sending a rush through my veins. I forgot about the cold. I forgot about how wet the hike made my boots. I just lived in the movement. We came to an easy stop and, for a second, I could still feel the air against my cheeks, the excitement in my veins. When it subsided, I turned to him and asked if we could go again. And again. It was such fun.

This snowfall didn’t turn into fun. Captain insisted we keep to the schedule. I was fine with the routine, except the wind was not festive. It was brutal, cutting at me, chilling my bones. I was sure my nose or fingers would snap off if hit. And, of course, snow balls would fly from nowhere and smack me in the neck. I wasn’t the only victim of the assault. When the captain saw the culprit, he would send them on laps around the practice filed, but he didn’t see everyone. Then, Clieto showed mercy and sent a blizzard. Captain finally gave up and let us back inside.

I curled under the blanket, my body radiating heat against my fur. I sat and remembered the sleigh ride.  If I closed my eyes hard enough, I could see myself there. I could feel the wind against my cheeks and remember the freedom of the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment