Sunday, December 2, 2012

Camping to Survive

We went on a camping trip. Well, Captain called it a survival expedition, which is dramatic. Maybe if he had waited until it snowed. I can smell the flakes in the breeze. He would only have to wait a week at most, I think. Anyway, he said we had to learn what it meant to survive outside in the elements, with limited rations. He said that would best prepare us for war when rations run low. We grouped into teams of five. I think my team had planned all along to ditch me. They’re stupid. I’m part wolf. When they maneuvered too quick, got me distracted, and I lost sight of them, I’d just stand tall, nose in the air. I closed my eyes and sifted through the breeze. Chipmunks dominate the air with their nutty dust stink. The pines add crisp sweetness. But I do prefer the chipmunks to some of the bigger game that roamed the mountains back at home. I remember there was one day I couldn’t distinguish the scent, just that it was an animal. It had an iron scent, blood, to the dust and sweat. But there was also a fishy mix to it all; like it rolled on top of fish bodies and then went swimming. When I found the black bear, face to face, I froze. Anyway, he must have just eaten because he just looked at me, snorted, and then sauntered over the hill.

Even though the scent is stronger in wolf form, all I really need is two seconds with someone to pick up their distinct smell. Humans have a signature behind their glands more than any other. Some are sweater, one smelled almost like cinnamon apples behind their sweat. These boys were no different. One boy kind of smells like bark. I would swear his father was an oak tree if I still believed in fairy tales. I found them within seconds, even without having to transform. After about four times of this, they stopped trying to ditch me.
 
After twelve hours they found a use for me. I made the mistake of bringing a chipmunk to them. They asked me if there was anything bigger. So I found a rabbit. Hunting is always weird. The wolf voice speaks to me, narrows my view until all I see is the prey. Even the chase pumps through my veins, thrilling me. But my human voice never goes away. It rationalizes with me. It tells me this is weird behavior for a ten year old girl. But they boys really enjoyed it. So, for the four days we were out, I had hunting duty while they split the other chores. When we arrived back at camp, we looked refreshed and satisfied compared to the others. They headed straight for the cafeteria, looking like they had lost five pounds. 
 
I liked camping. I know tomorrow they boys will go back to ignoring me. But at least for a few days I felt wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment