Saturday, September 8, 2012

Liars and Wars

“When we get to Neptune Island, it’ll all be okay.” That’s what the men said, the guards who brought me here. I wonder if Clieto really does strike liars down with lightening like my mother always said. I suspect she lied about this…there’s a term for that, I bet. The thought of them being hit from the heavens makes me smile. If they are not sorry for bringing me here, then I am not sorry for smiling. Although, maybe they are in fact still breathing, transporting some new precious cargo somewhere else. I must say today was the first day I began to believe them.

 It started with cold water dumped on me early this morning. I think I had only slept for half the night, but that icy liquid stole my breath and woke every nerve in my body. I knew what it was. Captain was conducting another late night training exercise. He likes to say we won’t sleep on the battlefield, so shouldn’t become too used to such a luxury. I think he is dumb sometimes. They didn’t even let me change, rushing me out to formation. It was dark, but Selene was full and the white light bright enough to confirm the rest did have wet hair, but dry clothes. Guess it’s my curse for being the last on the list to wake. We began our run through the island perimeter. About a quarter in, Zeno stepped on my shoe. I still don’t know how he did it without breaking formation, but I should have known not to let him run behind me. I felt the strap break before the tug. The scratches from my fall still sting. Worse, as I watched the group move away, I knew I would have to run barefoot. But, I promised myself long ago not to let them see me cry. So I took off the other shoe and powered on. I felt every rock and pebble on the ground jab into my feet, but I pushed on. I am the true soldier. All their efforts to break me only prove it.

Besides, Captain chewed Zeno out in front of the entire group when he didn’t clean out the bunk house. He claimed his name wasn’t on the schedule, which it wasn’t until it somehow appeared there. I couldn’t help but wink at him as I passed by on the way to combat training. I know I started a war, but really it already existed. I will worry about that tomorrow. For now, as I can feel every pore as I soak my foot in the salt solution the doctor assigned for my cuts, I know witnessing that look on his face makes all the pain worth it. So, Clieto, maybe you shouldn’t strike the carriage drivers down with lightning just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment